Netflix Cancels ‘Luke Cage’

Luke Cage’ has been canceled after 2 seasons.

via Deadline:

“Unfortunately, Marvel’s Luke Cage will not return for a third season,” Marvel and the streaming service said on Friday. “Everyone at Marvel Television and Netflix is grateful to the dedicated showrunner, writers, cast and crew who brought Harlem’s Hero to life for the past two seasons, and to all the fans who have supported the series.”

This axing of Luke Cage came as a surprise. A writer’s room under showrunner Cheo Hodari Coker had been working for around six months producing scripts and taking notes from Netlfix and Marvel. As actors like lead Mike Colter remained under contract, a formal Season 3 order considered almost a foregone conclusion by all concerned

After tensions the past month, it all went distinctly south in the last 48 hours.

The pink slipping of Luke Cage was ultimately a combo of the age old creative differences and the inability for the parties involved to reach a deal, according to sources. With a season perched on the conclusion of the June 22 launched Season 2 plotted out months and months ago, detailed drafts for the first half of the 10-episode projected third season were delivered to Marvel and Netflix this week.

We hear that some execs had issues with the more developed scripts, even though they strongly incorporated suggestions from both Netflix and Marvel brass.

Add to that, the writers’ room was put on hold for a week in September, as the streamer and the Disney-owned company were figuring out the mechanisms of changing the deal for the planned Luke Cage third season from the original 13 episodes to a slimmed down 10 episodes. It eventually escalated to behind-the-scenes turmoil in the past two days and demands for changes in creative reign. With Marvel and Netflix seemingly in intractable and different sides of the disputes, a harsh cancelation became the only viable exit strategy, it appears.

The revolving door of showrunners on Marvel’s shows on Netflix have seen new creative teams become almost the norm.  There’s been new showrunners for every season of Daredevil, Raven Metzner took over Iron Fist for its second and final season, and Jessica Jones’ Melissa Rosenberg is heading off to an overall deal with WBTV once Season 3 of the Krysten Ritter-led series is done.

In another sense, the cancellation was a done deal as the situation became tense on the corporate level. The Marvel shows on Netflix are costly to make, even with New York’s generous tax credits. Back in 2013, the streamer paid top dollar for the series, that they don’t even own so cutting Luke Cage loose was a shift bottom line call. With the high cost, there has been pressure on the Marvel series to overperform in viewership. That was easier early on when they were among a handful of Netflix originals but is getting harder today when they are competing with dozens of other buzzy shows on the Internet network.

At this point there is no plans for owner Marvel to resurrect Luke Cage on the upcoming Disney streaming service. But, being that the Simone Missick co-starrer crashed Netflix in its first season opening weekend in September 2016 and had a very well watched and well received 13-episode Season 2, it could be a Sweet Christmas, as Cage likes to quip.

Advertisements

Sanaa Lathan: ‘I Have Been Treated Just Horribly By Some Women That You May Know’

Sanaa Lathan is good. She’s really good. Ever since she cut off her signature bob, the actress, who’s currently starring in Netflix’s Nappily Ever After, isn’t afraid to speak her mind. She’s even sounding off on rising in the ranks of a Hollywood that at times can be unfriendly.

“Just coming up in the business, I have been treated just horribly by some women that you may know,” the 47-year-old actress said Monday in a room full of women at the New York City premiere of her latest rom com inside The Wing Soho.

“I won’t call any names,” she said, “but when you’re working with somebody who’s maybe a little older than you — now I’m the older one — you don’t expect to get competition, and jealousy, and weird vibes on set. And I was very hurt, very early on in my career by a couple of different women.”

Thankfully, Lathan said that while portraying Lynn Whitfield’s onscreen daughter, who’s obsessed with being perfect — even down to the hairs on her head — for her boyfriend, she didn’t have to worry about bad vibes. It was all love between her and Lynn, whom she called “a light.”

“You can tell that. She’s so beautiful inside and out,”
Lathan added.

Whitfield, who portrays Paulette Jones (the kind of mother who loves to put you in between her legs for a good press right near the kitchen stove), returned the love.

Nappily Ever After

You’re only as good as the moment you create,” she told Lathan. “You can’t create the truth by yourself.

In Nappily Ever After, we see Lathan’s Violet Jones breezing through life thanks to a high-powered advertising gig and a fine as hell live-in boyfriend. And it helps that she found a little blue box in her boyfriend’s pocket. With wedding bells ringing loudly in her ears, Jones tries to keep her hair laid, in an effort to secure the ring. Don’t worry feminists. Eventually Jones comes to her senses.

“I love the fact that this is a romantic comedy, but I call it the fairy tale for the modern woman,” Lathan said of the flick directed by Haifaa al-Mansour, known as the first female Saudi filmmaker. “It’s a romantic comedy about falling in love with yourself.”

“When I was coming up, we were read fairy tales, and fairy tales is kind of what helps us determine what our values are as little girls. And when you read Cinderella…and you don’t see yourself reflected, what does that do to you on a deep unconscious self-esteem way?” the actress asked.

Lathan said she’s proud Nappily Ever After represents “the beginnings of inclusivity.”

The actress famously cut her hair off for the film, shot in Atlanta. The move created headlines last fall, when Lathan showed off her big chop on the ‘gram. Initially, Lathan admitted, she didn’t want to go there.

“In the beginning, [I said], ‘I’m not cutting my hair.’ I said, ‘You know, this is the 21st century. We have technology. We can do a bald cap,” she recalled to laughter.

But after talk with a “couple of people,” including producer Tracey Bing and celebrity hairstylist Larry Sims, who made his film debut in Nappily, Lathan decided to just go for it.

“I said, ‘It’s just hair,’” she said. “If I don’t like it I can just throw a wig on.”

Similar to how the women reacted in The Wing Monday night, the glam squad and crew on set were “transformed,” Whitfield said, after what will become an iconic scene of liberation and freedom.

Because for many women — even though we know better — too much value and worth are wrapped up in the strands of our hair.

“This is still an issue. It has not gone away,” Whitfield said. “So I felt completely free to be this mother…who was so frightened by what this bold move would do to her daughter’s life — what it would cost her.”

Via Essence

Netflix Signs Tiffany Haddish For A Stand-Up Special

Tiffany Haddish is booked and busy in real life.

The comedian and actress is set to premiere a brand new one-hour stand-up special on Netflix.

via Variety

She’ll record the special in early 2019, with Netflix set to release later in the year.

This marks a move from her last special, which aired on Showtime.

“Tiffany Haddish is a force,” said Lisa Nishimura, vice president of original documentary and comedy for Netflix. “Hilariously funny, brash and self-effacing, she’s an incredible artist who is winning over audiences while breaking barriers, and we are tremendously proud that she will showcase her formidable talent on Netflix.”

Get that Coin Antee!

Netflix Releases ‘Nappily Ever After’ Trailer Starring Sanaa Lathan

Netflix finally releases the first trailer for “Nappily Ever After” starring Sanaa Lathan.

Violet Jones has a seemingly flawless life – a great job, a handsome doctor boyfriend, and a meticulously maintained perfect coiffure.

But after an accident at the hair-dresser, each of these things start to unravel, and Violet begins to realize that she was living the life she thought she was supposed to live, not the one that she really wanted.

Watch The Trailer Below

Ohhh This Looks Good! Get Ready To Love Yourself 💖💖💖

Octavia Spencer Set To Play Madam C.J. Walker for Upcoming Netflix Series

Octavia Spencer is set to play America’s first black, self-made female millionaire — Madam C.J. Walker —  in an upcoming Netflix series.

via NYDN:

Walker, whose real name was Sarah Breedlove, was born in Louisiana to former slaves in 1867. She was orphaned by age 7, earned money washing clothes by age 10 and was married at 14. She was a widow six years later.

After spending more than 20 years toiling for $1.50 a week, Walker created a hair care formula that she turned into a multimillion-dollar business. Walker, who died in 1919 and is buried in the Bronx, also devoted her life to philanthropy and activism

The eight-episode series is based on the 2002 biography “On Her Own Ground,” written by Walker’s great-great-granddaughter A’Lelia Bundles.

Spencer was named best supporting actress for 2011’s “The Help” and received back-to-back nominations for “Hidden Figures” in 2016 and “The Shape of Water” last year.

Basketball star LeBron James, through his Springhill Production company, will serve as an executive producer on the project.

This is simply Amazing. Cant Wait

‘Black-ish’ Creator Kenya Barris Officially Leaves ABC

It looks like all the rumors were true. ‘Black-ish’ creator Kenya Barris is officially leaving ABC Studios.

According to sources, Kenya is looking at a nine-figure overall deal with Netflix.

via THR:

“I’m very grateful to Patrick Moran and his team at ABC Studios, who have supported me every step of the way as I created the worlds of Black-ish, Grown-ish and now Besties. It has been an incredible ride including a Peabody and Golden Globe win, Emmy nominations, and many other accolades. But most importantly, they’ve allowed me to realize my dream of creating my own shows and I’m so proud of the work we’ve done together,” Barris said in a statement Friday. “No matter what, the studio has never wavered in their support of my creative vision. Leaving is bittersweet, but between my series on the air and projects currently in development, I know I’ll continue to work with ABC Studios for a long time.

Mandatory Credit: Photo by Variety/REX/Shutterstock (9325642b)
Karey Burke and Kenya Barris
Freeform Summit, Panel, Los Angeles, USA – 18 Jan 2018

Barris’ likely move to Netflix comes as the prolific showrunner, as exclusively reported by THR, had been actively trying to get out of his overall deal with ABC Studios, his creative home since 2015. Barris, who earned a Peabody and two best comedy Emmy nominations for his ABC comedy Black-ish, had three years remaining on the lucrative four-year deal he signed in 2017. Sources say other studios, including Warner Bros. Television, courted Barris with nine-figure offers as well. Barris, like Shonda Rhimes when she departed ABC Studios, will remain an executive producer on all of his shows. Kenny Smith has been promoted to co-showrunner alongside Jonathan Groff on Black-ish. Julie Bean continues to serve as showrunner on the Freeform spinoff Grown-ish. Groff, Smith and Bean all have overall deals with ABC Studios. The news comes months after Freeform handed out a straight-to-series order for Barris comedy Besties, which will remain on track.

Barris is a logical fit for Netflix, which is seeking what chief content officer Ted Sarandos has called a “rare class of creator” who can deliver hits that are both critically and commercially successful. Barris has proved the ability to deliver that on both the film and TV side. Also of interest to the streaming service, which is looking to satisfy its 117 million subscribers: prolific producers of content. Again, Barris delivered, overseeing a show and a spinoff (Freeform’s Grown-ish) while also developing aggressively on TV and in film.The Netflix deal follows a series of tough breaks at ABC. In March, for instance, it yanked a politically themed episode of Black-ish following creative differences between the network and Barris. At the time, ABC called the decision to scrap it a mutual one between the network and Barris, though sources say otherwise. The episode was poised to feature star Anthony Anderson’s Dre relaying his concerns about the current state of the country to his son. “Given our creative differences, neither ABC nor I were happy with the direction of the episode and mutually agreed not to air it,” Barris said at the time. “Black-ish is a show that has spoken to all different types of people and brought them closer as a community and I’m so proud of the series.”

First Shonda, now Kenya — ABC Studios out here losing!

Dear White People’ Renewed for Season 3

‘Dear White People’ is coming back for a third season on Netflix

The announcement was made today in the form of a video featuring Giancarlo Esposito, the show’s narrator, who also plays a member of the secret campus society, The Order of X. 

Peep the announcement below. Cant Wait!